Did you know that 1 out of every 14 people over 65 in the United Kingdom has Alzheimer's or another form of dementia?
Taking care of patients with dementia can sound like a daunting task to you as a nurse, as they often require a lot of attention and assistance.
While there’s no treatment to cure this disease, prevent it, or eliminate symptoms, there are actions you can take to look after dementia patients better.
1. Perform a safety check
Safety must always be a top priority when taking care of residents with dementia since they have an increased risk of falling or injuring themselves during the day or night. Care assist and alert systems for nursing homes like wireless bed and motion sensors are an excellent way to ensure safety.
Other safety precautions include:
- Removing tripping hazards such as throw rugs, electrical devices, clutter, or low furniture from frequently used areas of the house.
- Installing grab bars in the bathroom near the toilet and tub or shower and ensuring they're securely attached to wall studs.
- Installing night lights in hallways and bathrooms, as well as lights outside all doors if your loved one goes outdoors at night.
- Removing or locking up all dangerous products such as cleaning supplies and medications
2. Place bed pressure mats
Hospitals can also opt for bed floor mats and bed alarms for dementia patients who are at risk of falling out of bed. These devices help alert staff members when patients start climbing out of their beds so the nurses can respond quickly.
3. Install emergency call bell in hospital
In addition to having an attendant with them at all times, it's also a good idea to install an emergency call bell in the room where your patient is staying. This can allow them to notify you when they need you without trying to find you themselves.
Having easy to press call button within reach of the bed or chair is also an excellent way to let nurses know when assistance is needed. There are also emergency phones that can allow a call for help. These options save time in an emergency and allow residents to take care of their needs without waiting.
You can find these options on our online store at Frequency Precision.